/* Google Analytics */

Feb 27, 2003

Lets talk about food in Paris.

I noticed that the French aren’t particularly fond of heavy food. The daily Parisian fare wont let you walk away from a restaurant with one hand supporting your back and the other rubbing your oh-so-stuffed stomach. Here’s what they eat.

1. Baguette. A French staple. In Manila, we call it (what else?) French bread. Unlike our local bread though, baguettes aren’t necessarily that long.
Think Subway’s one foot sandwich. That’s typical baguette size. What remains the same is the fact that they’re pretty hard to eat. Expect crumbs,
expect plenty of jaw exercise….

2. Salads. Green, leafy and filled really juicy tomatoes. Yum. Nuff said.

3. Cheese. I thought Netherlands was THE cheese capital of the world (and maybe it is?) but I see more cheese here. (Or maybe its because I spent just a day in
Amsterdam.) I've tried fondue already!! Oh no, that was Raclette...the difference is, instead of having melted cheese in a pot, they give you the cheese and this small
"stove" with a flat bottom "pan" where you melt your cheese. Once melted, you tip the pan and all that creamy cheese unto your plate of cold cuts, baked potato, etc...

4. Wine. Red, white and rose. Rose is that interesting concoction which is a mix of both. The best of both worlds…needless to say, I still haven’t increased my alcohol
tolerance, but that doesn’t stop me from having my wine glass at dinner.

5. Tarts, Flan and oodles of strawberry dessert. Their flans taste like egg pie so I haven’t really had too much of that. The tarts? I have yet to try them…
but the strawberry dessert…oooohhh…my first office day lunch included that yummy, juicy, lovely glass of that sumptuous red fruit topped with whipped cream
and with strawberry icing (I don’t know what its called) at the bottom. So you think you’ll lose weight with just sandwiches and salads? The desserts will
make sure you have enough fat and sugar to make you gain more than a pound.

6. Café. And I don’t mean Frapuccino’s or Javanillas. I mean strong, eye-opening Espresso shots. In little cups, no less. Yes, they have Café Au Lait
(which has milk) but damn! Those espresso shots aren’t as bitter as you think they would be…you wouldn’t mind having double or triple shots.

No comments: