/* Google Analytics */

Jul 15, 2003

Last Sunday, I watched Someone Like You Twice on Star Movies. Yes, I've seen it before but I obviously do not tire of watching it. Romantic comedies just stir up a lot of memories, both wanted and unwanted. They make me hate, love, believe and disbelieve all at the same time. Yes, I take my formula romantic movies seriously. I'm a sucker for the predictable story line and the ouch-I-can-relate lines.

Yes, the lines, I can never get over their lines. I dont think I'm the only one even. Try googling and you'll find countless sites devoted to movie lines (most of which are from this genre). And ahem my blog is going to be one of them....

At the top of my head, here are some lines I can remember from these type of movies and my take on them...I may not have the exact lines, but then again, the main ideas are there anyway...

1. ...There is the dream of someone --- "You've Got Mail"
This was Meg Ryan's reply when asked if she were breaking up with her on-screen boyfriend because of someone else. It made me smile. It made me sigh. It made me think, hell! There's always been a DREAM of someone, will someone wake me up already??!!


2. Sometimes you don't see things until you're ready to see them, in a particular way --- "Keeping The Faith"
...and most of the time, some people end up not seeing what you want them to see at all. Maybe they're not ready? Or maybe they never will be? More importantly, maybe they're never supposed to be ready?

3. The truth is less than 5% of all male organisms are monogamous. The other 95% are f***king Penelope Pope. --- "Someone Like You"
To this I have only one thing to say.....F***k Penelope Pope!
And if you happen to be a Penelope Pope...Wake up girl! Face facts, and realize that yes, that is the only thing happening, you are getting f***ked, nothing more. Easier said than done though.


4. When you love someone, you say it out loud, then and there, otherwise, the moment just passes you by --- "My Best Friend's Wedding"
This is the mantra of all who, at one point in time, felt something for someone and never had the guts to say it. To all of you I offer you this insight, in the movie, do you think it would have made any difference if Julia Roberts blurted it out at that perfect moment? Sure, we would have been spared from the rest of the chaotic events in the film (and hence, there would be no point in the film) but really, do you think it would have made a difference?? The guy does not love jell-o, he loves creme brulee. The blond has the engagement ring, and remember, he ran after her. He loves her. Not the big-haired redhead from New York. You may argue, "at least he knows"...yes he knows....so what??!!

5. Because if this theory is wrong, then men don't leave all women, they leave me. -- "Someone Like You"
I'm stumped. I think this needs no further comment.


No comments: