I've been trying since last night to come up with a nice write up on my Amsterdam weekend, my last weekend in Holland actually. But after blog-hopping and realizing how much I really hate the way I write, I've finally come to the decision to just write, continuously, without a clear thought or direction...and to simply just say what I'd like to say.
Years ago, I was given the chance to catch a glimpse of Amsterdam on a very brief visit. I left after 24 hours with the promise to return. And return I did. With three days this time, I planned to walk about the city and finally go to the Van Gogh Museum and visit the work of a world-renowned master. I was not disappointed.
The museum layout itself was something to marvel about, very sophisticated interiors, coupled with very thoughtful ordering of the artworks, and I must say, a very, very effective audio tour, it was non-art educated friendly. I don't know the differences of one artist's style to the next -- in fact, I have trouble calling a color by name (except the basic ones of course) -- but the recorded stories about the paintings, their style and the history behind the painting proved to be very helpful. I saw the artist as he was when he lived. I felt what he felt when he painted, and I could feel the emotions rise out from the swirls, dots and strokes of color. I finally understood the kind of inspection that the art-knowledgeable subject every masterpiece to. It was none of the I'm-different-and-my-thoughts-are-different kind of art and interpretation. It was real and credible without being pretentious.
Apart from Van Gogh, I finally went on a Canal cruise, wandering in and about the canals of the old city. With every turn, and every canal was a significant area. Here we have the most powerful families withe most beautiful houses, here we have more warehouses and in the others, the smaller houses. Houseboats here and there, city gates to that side and the harbor on the other....the bridges to me are most picturesque. Seeing the bikes cross over the arched paths over the canals, with the distinctive houses lining both sides of the water literally emptied my mind of any thought...except that it was such a quaint and touching sight.
I also got to walk around the red light district. While I admit that this was not what I came to the city for, seeing it was something that every tourist, I think, should do. There was nothing seedy or scary with walking about the streets in the area. Plenty of tourists were doing the same thing.
One thing though, and I know of people who would raise their eyebrows at this, is that I think there simply is too much focus on the coffeeshops. While it is all true, there are coffeeshops only within a few meters away from each other, there is so much more to see in this city. Sitting by the canal or at one of the cafes (that serve real coffee) can fill you with a deep sense of --- I cant point my finger on it, but its the same feeling I get when I sit still in one of the places that I liked --- like the wind is blowing gently (even though it was a tad too cold), that the bikers and people passing by are strolling leisurely (but they really were rushing somewhere, or finding a tourist spot probably), that life, in all its complications and complexities, is unveiling the way it should. It sounds more like what someone would say of a quiet little town, I guess, but for me, all these come with the presence of people going about their business, and yes, with tourists finding their way around with maps. Remote places strike me as lacking in character. Like someone who refuses to open his eyes to see beyond what he normally sees.

Keizergracht
Years ago, I was given the chance to catch a glimpse of Amsterdam on a very brief visit. I left after 24 hours with the promise to return. And return I did. With three days this time, I planned to walk about the city and finally go to the Van Gogh Museum and visit the work of a world-renowned master. I was not disappointed.
The museum layout itself was something to marvel about, very sophisticated interiors, coupled with very thoughtful ordering of the artworks, and I must say, a very, very effective audio tour, it was non-art educated friendly. I don't know the differences of one artist's style to the next -- in fact, I have trouble calling a color by name (except the basic ones of course) -- but the recorded stories about the paintings, their style and the history behind the painting proved to be very helpful. I saw the artist as he was when he lived. I felt what he felt when he painted, and I could feel the emotions rise out from the swirls, dots and strokes of color. I finally understood the kind of inspection that the art-knowledgeable subject every masterpiece to. It was none of the I'm-different-and-my-thoughts-are-different kind of art and interpretation. It was real and credible without being pretentious.
Apart from Van Gogh, I finally went on a Canal cruise, wandering in and about the canals of the old city. With every turn, and every canal was a significant area. Here we have the most powerful families withe most beautiful houses, here we have more warehouses and in the others, the smaller houses. Houseboats here and there, city gates to that side and the harbor on the other....the bridges to me are most picturesque. Seeing the bikes cross over the arched paths over the canals, with the distinctive houses lining both sides of the water literally emptied my mind of any thought...except that it was such a quaint and touching sight.
I also got to walk around the red light district. While I admit that this was not what I came to the city for, seeing it was something that every tourist, I think, should do. There was nothing seedy or scary with walking about the streets in the area. Plenty of tourists were doing the same thing.
One thing though, and I know of people who would raise their eyebrows at this, is that I think there simply is too much focus on the coffeeshops. While it is all true, there are coffeeshops only within a few meters away from each other, there is so much more to see in this city. Sitting by the canal or at one of the cafes (that serve real coffee) can fill you with a deep sense of --- I cant point my finger on it, but its the same feeling I get when I sit still in one of the places that I liked --- like the wind is blowing gently (even though it was a tad too cold), that the bikers and people passing by are strolling leisurely (but they really were rushing somewhere, or finding a tourist spot probably), that life, in all its complications and complexities, is unveiling the way it should. It sounds more like what someone would say of a quiet little town, I guess, but for me, all these come with the presence of people going about their business, and yes, with tourists finding their way around with maps. Remote places strike me as lacking in character. Like someone who refuses to open his eyes to see beyond what he normally sees.

Keizergracht
1 comment:
Dude how are u? Renee and I are in Seattle!!! Been without internet for almost 2 weeks....agghhhhh! We will proceed to San Fo on May 12 and will meet up with Tg....Musta Amsterdam? Email me at grache_cecilio@homtail.com for juicy chikka!!!
Post a Comment