/* Google Analytics */

Feb 13, 2006

Okay enough with all that fuss....on to more Cypriot stuff.

It is my last week in Cyprus and my last full weekend (this past weekend that is) was spent in Nicosia. As we've been sightseeing a lot over the past month or so, I havent really had that much time to go around and do some serious shopping...not that I plan to spend that much anyway....but I still wanted to go shopping.

So Saturday was my shopping day. And since Cypriot stores close hella early on Saturdays and remain closed on Sundays...we were up early on Saturday morning. And then Tita Eva called...would we like to go to the other side? Damn right we would!

The Other Side

This of course, refers to the non-Government controlled area. Nicosia (and the rest of Cyprus) is divided into the Cypriot side, and the Northern Republic of Cyprus which is Turkish Territory. For those who do not know, Turkey attempted to occupy Cyprus occured in the 70s. To this day, Cypriots speak of the other side as if crossing over means acquiring the plague. UN forces guard the boundaries and No Man's Land lies in between the two parts.

And we crossed that border, went through No Man's Land, saw ruins of old houses and passed by what used to be a Cypriot hotel turned UN quarters in order to get to the Turkish side. And the reason we crossed? Shopping!!! At the risk of sounding like I have no respect for the Cypriot complaint against the invasion... crossing over was one of the most exciting things I've done so far.

Once on the other side, people spoke a different language, words were written differently and, well, the men were different. I'll save that story for some other time....but bottom line, we went through the shops and found cheap cheap cheap signature clothes. Who bought what and what was bought? Lets just say, that the men outnumbered the women hands down.

Lazy Sunday

Being in a different territory the entire Saturday morning meant that shops were closed when we got back to the Cypriot side. That was the end of our shopping weekend. We had a day and a half in an entire city that was mostly closed.

So we decided to walk and shoot. Allan had Buddy while I took charge of his Ixus 50. It was refreshing to have a camera that fits in my pocket....but I have to admit...it didn't feel right. Like I was missing an arm or a leg.

Photos I took:

Having Mini Meze for Brunch
A Coke in any Language Tastes Just as Good



More of Blue and Beige? Cream? whatever.




Not quite the Pimp Hat he's looking for

I'm loving mirrors and wide angle lenses...they're best for self portraits



Look into my (Turkish Evil) Eye


You know you're on an overseas assignment when you're served Evian and you don't really worry about the price.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

socs, waaaaaaaaaaa baka mauna ka pa dumating sa pinas...kesa sa gift mo sa akin...
and i could take an i-owe-you on that cypriot guy! hahaha! =P

Anonymous said...

ahahahahahahahaha...you are so right about the evian!

Con said...

hahaha! oo nga. di lang evian, pati gas hahaha!

kwento ko lang, sa office sa abu dhabi pag gusto mo ng kape sabihin mo lang dun sa nasa pantry tapos dadalin nya sa desk mo :P. Pati water! hahaha! Sabihin ko kaya sa kanya gusto ko ng pizza...

Anonymous said...

I just saw your page.
I have a comment for the guy in one of the photos.

I find him cute.

Your boyfriend?
Nice.:)