/* Google Analytics */

Nov 27, 2005

Pre-Departure Blues


Nov 24, 2005
4:00 PM Manila Time
8 hours prior to Departure time

Of all my trips, Cyprus wins hands down in having the most stressful pre-departure period. This took three months of visa processing, filling up application forms, having visa's denied and then learning that it was semi-approved, back and forth faxing of documents, couriers to and from different countries and through different timezones, email to and from various people, repeated flight bookings and re-bookings, hotel reservations, cancellations and re-reservations...

..and all of that just refer to the "official" goings-on that need to be taken cared of for a business trip. There is, as with any traveler, the personal aspect as well.

I will put it this way..It took me a day and a half to stress, prepare and fuss over Kevin's recent wedding -- and I was just a plain old guest.
How much effort I would exert for a 3-week trip to a country currently in winter?
It might seem that with my travel experience, these things would be easy. On one hand, it was, since I no longer fuss about minor things --- deciding what to bring is almost automatic. However, having been on other winter trips have had some major effects on me as well. I am now armed with the first-hand knowledge that women my age can and most definitely do NOT look frumpy in oversized, overbulky and overlayered clothes. I have also developed a distaste for having too many handcarried bags.

As a result, I ended up bringing less clothes, buying one or two more-expensive-than-I-would-normally buy pieces of travel essentials.
I have to add, that I did my shopping within 2 days of my real, actual departure. I wanted to make sure I was leaving before I spent that much money and that much effort.
Add all that to my worries over the unusual circumstances of the Entry visa, and what I end up with is an extremely stressful experience.

Nov 24, 2005
9 PM Manila time
3 hours prior to Departure Time

After all that hassle and all the craziness that went on, I breezed past Immigration with the Immigration Officer not even sparing so much as a blink in the direction of my Entry Visa...?!??!?
No word, no murmur, no grunt marked the "interview".
Anti-climactic? Hell yes!!! It was so easy..TOO EASY, now it scares me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww... see! nothing you can't handle ;) 3 weeks would breeze by like you never left the country but you got these loads of worthwhile experiences in cyprus.. plus hopeful pa rin ako sa tall blue eyed mo na iuuwi.. if not for you for me na lang.. hehehehe