This morning I was out of the apartment slightly earlier compared to the past few weeks. I've been hearing the word 'Spring' a lot these past few days that I thought, okay, if it really is spring, then I can take the path by the river and not shiver in the cold wind (FYI, I did that once on my first week here and I never did it again, at least not in the morning -- waaay too cold). It wasn't chilly...and even without my scarf I was fine.
Little fella
A block away from the train station, I saw something moving a little further to my right. Lo and behold, a little furry thing was on the brick pathway, hopping, traipsing and skipping across my path. Right now I still dont know if it was a squirrel (which is, in my impression, the cute creature) or a possum (which, again, based on my limited impression on furry animals). Based on what I've seen and heard when I was in Melbourne, Possum are seen tightrope-walking on the electricity lines. Squirrels on the other hand, remind me of Disney's Chip and Dale. So, in order to make my morning happy I decided, then and there, that yes, that WAS a squirrel crossing my path.
life goes on
And speaking of path. I take the PATH train to Manhattan everyday (lousy way of introducing a new topic dont you think? I'm losing my creativity :p) . As I was reloading my Metro card, a lady on a wheelchair came up to me -- no, rolled up to me and asked if I could help her get through the gates. See, she didnt have either hand and I'm guessing she was controlling the chair using her feet (she was daintily covered). I walked over with her to the disabled access, fished out her Metcard from her bag, slipped it in, saw her through and said my "Have a great day".
It amazes me how people like her, who, despite her limitations, are out there still living their lives. Taking the subway, heading from place to place and most probably out to do something productive. Whereas I, on the other hand, have to drag myself out of bed every morning while constantly reminding myself that I have work to do...I have work to do...as a mature, responsible, adult, I have to go to work and do what I have to do....
*sigh*
No comments:
Post a Comment