By any other word would smell as sweet"
when i started working years ago, I insisted on using my nickname.
but then of course, my first job required communicating via email to foreign customers...so they had me use "Maria" to sign off my email messages.
so I was formally "Maria" for the five months that I worked there. Although of course, everyone at work call me "Socs".
and then I went to work for another company and again, I insisted on using my nickname. Even with email directed to foreign counterparts, I was "Socs". Sure, they thought it weird, and they probably can't say it right without being reminded of a foot garment. But I persisted on using it.
On my most recent trip though, it all changed. I was "Socorro". Before I got there, that was the name they knew I had...while I was there they addressed me as such...even when I left, I was "Socorro". My Spanish colleague sure got a kick out of that. Imagine her approaching me with a question imploring "Socorro! Socorro!" (and if you dont get it, ask me sometime).
And then yesterday when I sent out an email to yet another foreign counterpart, I was surprised that I automatically signed it using my full second name.
God does this really mean I'm getting old?!?
My mom would love this. She's always loved my name. Now she's waiting until they all use both my first AND second names.
My point? Nothing. I go by many names. And so do most Filipinos. So shoot me.
No comments:
Post a Comment